3/09/2011

"Now Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Program . . . "


Greetings,

A while back, I posed a mid-afternoon trivia question on my facebook page.  The residential query was, "If you could live (yes, really live) on a television set, which one would you choose?"  And thus began I lively discussion of television history . . .

Though the answers seemed to span through several TV genres and generations, I thought I'd share some clear favourites:


Mary Richard's Studio
(from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", 1970 - 1977)



Even to my childhood eyes, it just all seemed madly glamorous.
City living.  Patchwork skirts.  Shag carpeting.  Leisure suits.
And I loved that she would move the furniture around when she needed to host a party.


Blueprints of Mary's Studio.  by Mark Bennett.
I totally need to order Mark Bennett's book.  There are floor plans for many of your favourite TV shows.  Including the hilarious blueprints for the Flintstone's abode and Jeannie's bottle. 



And several people mentioned how much they loved Mary's walk-in closet.


The Steven's Residence
(from "Bewitched", 1964 - 1972)



I'm curious to know whether people chose this one so often because they loved the house,
or because they wanted to have magical powers.

The Steven's Residence Blueprints, by Mark Bennett.


Again with the glamour.  Nothing says fabulous like a silk dressing gown.


The Hartley's Chicago Apartment
(from "The Bob Newhart Show" 1972 - 1978)


This one's a little light on images - but, it had several votes.  And it still hold great memories for me as well.



And the best accessory for any home - the delicious Suzanne Pleshette.

The Crane Residence
(from "Fraiser," 1993 - 2004)


And yes, everyone was planning to get Martin's ratty old recliner out of the house.  lol.

The Crane Residence, blueprints by Mark Bennett.

Will Truman's New York Apartment
(from "Will & Grace," 1998 - 2006)


Chic.  Modern.  Eclectic.  And Debra Messing.




Carrie Bradshaw's New York Apartment
(from "Sex and the City," 1998 - 2004)


I'm quite sure this one is COMPLETELY based on the walk-in closet.  lol.


Interestingly, so many of the shows that were talked about were from my/our childhoods.  I wondered how much of the discussion was actually a thinly veiled desire for our younger years . . .

Did we miss any of your favourites?
Scot

No comments:

Post a Comment